photo border top_zpssizzdfko.png

February 07, 2017

HOLDING ON TIGHTER by Shayla Black • FMR REVIEW & EXCERPT


BLURB: 

Jolie Quinn is a woman in charge. Her no-nonsense attitude has made her a rising star in the fashion world and her brand a household name among the Dallas elite. Nothing will stop her from achieving her goals—not even the gorgeous British security contractor who seems just as interested in seeing her personal assets as he is in protecting her professional ones.

After a tragedy left him broken, Heath Powell made a rule of staying unattached. But Jolie challenges him in a way he can’t ignore, and he isn’t used to backing down from a confrontation—especially when the reward for winning could feel so good. As passion blazes between them, the stubborn, confident beauty arouses more than his desire. She touches his heart.

When a mysterious enemy threatens Jolie and her company, Heath is the only person Jolie can trust to help. But working with him to save her business might put her dangerously at risk of falling in love…


PURCHASE HERE: 

Review by: Kim 

Shayla Black and her Wicked Lover's series has been a favorite for a very long time. When I started looking for something a bit racier, a bit more naughty to read, I found the Wicked Lover's. This series just keeps getting better.
Jolie was a bit hard for me in the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I love a strong heroine. It was just that Jolie was so strong she gave the impression of being cold hearted. 
Until I got to know her a little. Until the danger haunting her in the shadows pushed her to show herself.
Heath Powell. We've met him briefly before, but this book gives us way more of this sexy Brit. He's everything a strong dominate man should be, but with a slightly softer edge.
Shayla Black writes Heath well. And her use of some common British words and phrases was highly entertaining.
Getting to see Callie and her two hunky hubbies was great too.
And as always this author will leave you wanting more!

4 Stars 


Review by: Tracy 

This is the 12th book in the series by Shayla Black. I like when you don't have to read every book in order of the series, or all the books for that matter. So when I read the excerpt for Holding on tighter and learned I didn't need to read the previous stories, I jumped at the chance to read this one.

I like strong female characters. Ones that are independent, work hard and can take care of themselves. But they also need to have a sense of vulnerability to them, otherwise there would be no reason for the hero. I had high expectations for Jolie, which could be part of my disappointment. While she kicked a$$ in her business life, she acted like a doormat when it came to Heath. I'm mean, who in their right mind would sleep with a man knowing he slept with some random girl in a bar just hours before!!??? Have some self respect! I get Heath feels damaged, but if he had any respect for Jolie he would not have done what he did. 

Other than Jolie not living up to my expectations, the storyline moved a little slow. I think I'm going to start the series from the beginning, maybe my impressions of these characters will change. 

3.5 Stars 


Excerpt

Heath jerked back to face her and leaned in so close their noses nearly touched. “Am I wrong?”
She refused to stroll down that memory lane. “Does it matter?”
“I daresay it does. But we’ll come back to that. If you were merely mistrustful of men, you would have waited until tomorrow and delivered a well-​placed warning to keep me away from your sister.
Instead, you came after me. And when you found me with another woman, your temper flared. If I merely lived up to your expectations of being a womanizing prick, that shouldn’t make you angry at all, simply smug at being right. But you were livid. I doubt all that displeasure is on your sister’s behalf. In fact, I suspect, Ms. Quinn, that you have more than a passing interest in me. You were jealous.”
Apprehension raced through her veins. He was uncomfortably close to the truth. “You’re egotistical.”
“But I’m right.” He gave her a tight smile. “For the record, if I intended to disregard policy and pursue a woman in the office, I wouldn’t bother with your sister. As you say, she’s naive and provides no challenge. But you . . . You would be far more interesting. Pretty, strong, smart, not easily bendable. Color me intrigued.”
She tensed. “I’m your boss.”
“Temporarily. We’re both adults. Surely neither of us are prone to torrid emotional attachments. We could keep business separate from personal, couldn’t we?”
Normally, she’d say yes. But working with him constantly buzzing around her, asking questions, and watching her every move had already dented her focus. “I have no intention of becoming your next conquest.”
“I never planned to pursue you.”
Jolie wondered why, then dismissed the question as she buttoned her red coat. “Perfect. There’s nothing left to say except I’m sorry for intruding on your evening. I hope we can forget this by morning.”
She had to get out of here. She’d overplayed her hand and needed to regroup, to think about how to treat him tomorrow. The last thing she wanted was for Heath Powell to decide she was a challenge he should convert into his next bed partner after all. Normally, the sexual urges of a man wouldn’t concern her unless she was interested. If so, she found a way to have him for a night or two, then ended it.
Something told her that nothing with Heath would ever be that simple.
But when Jolie turned her back on him and headed for the parking lot, he snaked an arm around her middle and pulled her against his big, steely body. “I never planned to pursue you . . . but I’ve changed my mind.”





 photo signature_zpsyqnzqh4c.png

No comments:

Post a Comment