photo border top_zpssizzdfko.png

January 06, 2016

THE YEAR OF FALLING IN LOVE by Jessica Sorensen ~ FMR REVIEW



ABOUT: THE YEAR OF FALLING IN LOVE 


Isabella Anders just found out Lynn and her dad want to send her to a reform school. But with the help of Grandma Stephy, Isa’s dad agrees to let her move in with her grandma. 


Isa is more than relieved to be moving out. And after going on an unofficial date with Kyler, she wonders if maybe her life is starting to turn around. But then she discovers the truth about what really happened to her mother.



Not ready to fully accept that her mother is a murderer, Isa turns to Kai for help. Kai is more than willing to help, but to protect Isa, he keeps some of the more brutal details about her mother’s case to himself until he can find out more.



But when a mysterious blue car starts showing up everywhere, and Isa receives a threatening text message from an unknown caller, Kai realizes someone is dead set on destroying Isa. And he might not be able to protect her.



PURCHASE HERE: 

Review by: Amy C 

"You're like a unicorn...all rare and majestic. Heads turn when you walk into the room because you're so pretty, and everyone wishes they could be as pretty as you." I love this quote because I really feel like this could speak to all of the characters in this book.  The way Jessica wrote all of the characters, it felt like they were so connected. Not as neighbors or extended family, but as one unit. They were so drawn to one another and creatively bound to each other through loyalties and blood. 

The Kai, Isabella and Kyler relationship triangle was a little strained. I liked each character independently, but when they were all together it seemed like each was vying for the main stage attention. They didn't seem to be working together to solve problems but rather they were working side by side. This made the harmony a little difficult. I think all 3 of the main characters were written strong and independent yet awesomely complex. 

As much as I love Jessica's writing and style, this book was a little harder for me to get through. I liked the characters and plot of the story, but I would have liked to have seen a little more finality and closure through different aspects of the storyline. I believe in this series and can't wait to see what else Jessica writes for me in the future. I rate this book at a 3.75



Review by: Amy E 

I was very excited to get the second book in this series. The first one ended at such a pinnacle point in the story I was desperate to get more.  I had so many questions that I needed answers to.

Book two picked up right were book one left off and was written well, with highs and lows in all the right places. However in the grand scheme of things it fell flat for me. None of the big issues got resolved and Isa was really wishy-washy about everything.

We get to know Kai a little better with this book being duel perspectives.  But most of what we learn is in regards to his feelings for Isa.  I felt like he needed more depth to his story.

Isa is seventeen in the book and it shows. She is just a jumble of nerves, fears, and indecision.  While this holds true for most teen girls by the end of the book I found myself liking her less and less. 

I do love the love, support, and kick in the butt that Isa's Grandma and cousin give.  They truly care about her and can get vicious when fighting to protect her.

Overall a good story but, I wish I could have gotten more out of it.


3.5 Stars 




 photo signature_zpsyqnzqh4c.png

No comments:

Post a Comment