photo border top_zpssizzdfko.png

November 26, 2013

REVIEW ~ Rock Bottom by R.K. Lilley


Title: Rock Bottom by R.K. Lilley

Release date: November 25, 2013


Their love had the power of a runaway freight train, and the potential to be just as destructive. 
The tempestuous sequel to Bad Things picks up where the first book left off. Reeling from a profound loss, Tristan and Danika struggle to pick up the pieces and build a life together, but the hard habits of a lifetime are not so easy to escape. 
Rock Bottom takes us on a dual point of view journey through addiction and desire, through love and agony, and answers the question we’ve been asking since these characters were introduced in Grounded: “What happened between Tristan and Danika?” 

DANIKA 
Even love couldn’t cushion a fall like ours. My love for Tristan was so big that I felt consumed by it, and even so, it was not enough to overpower our combined demons. 
I struggled. I yelled and screamed. I scratched and kicked. 
I fought like hell, but even the most determined fighters have to stop before they break. 
No one could say I didn’t fight for him. 
“I love you,” I spoke softly into his ear. 
He gripped me harder. “I can’t ever lose you, Danika. I’m not sure I’d survive it.” 
“You’ve got me. And I’m not going anywhere. Not ever.” 
I meant the words when I said them, but life had other plans for us. 
I’d have given my life for that fight. In fact, I very nearly did. 

TRISTAN 
She was the one. 
If I’d ever had a doubt, I didn’t now. She was the one I’d be thinking about, longing for, until I took my last breath. If I lost her tomorrow, I’d pine for her like a lovesick fool. 
This was the kind of love that only hit you once in your life.


6 EMOTIONALLY DEVASTATING ~ HEARTWRENCHING ~ BEAUTIFULLY BROKEN STARS!!!

description

description

.....they sure did. But was it enough?

So a quick breakdown:

Hot, kinky sex?

description

Possessive, protective, caveman hero?

description

Sweet, compassionate, feisty, strong-willed heroine?

description

A twist you’ll never see coming?

description

Relationship cracks?

description

Reaches relationship breaking point?

description

Terrible, horrible, scared-to-flip-the-page event?

description

Cry your eyeballs out?

description

But I loved it anyway?

description

So did you get the story? *laugh*


*Here

It*

*Begins


This book picks up right after the events of Bad Things, and though I was ecstatic and elated to see their relationship grow, I also had this pit in my stomach because of what would occur later. If you’ve read the Up in the Air series, you know that Danika and Tristan are separated then, and Danika has a physical deformity. My biggest question I wanted an answer to, but at the same time I didn’t, was where did she get that limp from? 

Rest assured, the answer to that question and so many others are all revealed here. I want to say first though, R.K. Lilley has a way, no, a talent for sucking you right into the story with her addictive writing style. I mean, I’ve never read a book so fast nor have I forgotten to pee (TMI? Sorry). I was already convinced of her work with the Up in the Air trilogy, but this series?? Completely knocks James and Biancaout.of.the.ballpark. I honestly think this spinoff is her best work to date (all of her books are fab) and Rock Bottom is by far my favorite. 

Back to the book. Now that Tristan and Danika are “settled” into their relationship, it was extremely heartwarming to see their love for each other blossom even more, despite so many obstacles that try to trip them up. Tristan’s mother, Danika’s mother, Tristan’s alcoholism, Danika’s sister, Tristan’s temper, etc…the list keeps going. Yet it never stops them. They learn to divide and conquer, one step at a time. And at the same time, their love for each other only intensifies in magnitude. 

“She was the one. If I’d ever had a doubt, I didn’t now. She was the one I’d be thinking about, longing for, until I took my last breath. If I lost her tomorrow, I’d pine for her like a lovesick fool. This was the kind of love that only hit you once in your life.” 

Which made my heart shatter even more when I started to see cracks in their foundation. Nothing big at first, just little kinks here and there. Late night out partying, too much classwork, practicing with the band, dancing in the studio. Jealousy. Alcoholism. Groupies. Little by little, these tiny pieces built up into something explosive, until they turned the blame on each other.


“There was an anchor, tied around both of his ankles, and it was taking him deep, into black fathomless depths, drowning him slowly but surely.”

“I didn’t tell him that he was dragging me down with him.” 


At one point, I actually just wanted them to call quits to their relationship. This couple was dysfunctional, their love starting to turn into poison in their blood. But then, it would get better. They truly are each other’s crutch and kryptonite, needing each other so, but each having the power to destroy the other.


“I can’t ever lose you, Danika. I’m not sure I’d survive it.”

“You’ve got me. And I’m not going anywhere. Not ever.” 


Why can’t love ever be simple? Why must it be corrupted by outside forces that only serve to tear them apart? Why, why, why, why?


*And

The*

Thing*

*Happens


It was a trainwreck I couldn’t take my eyes off of, wanting to stop it, but helpless to do so. It was an execution, only in slow motion so that they took the full brunt of the force. You could’ve thrust a dagger in my side and it would’ve been less painful than to read about the disastrous, shocking events thatripped the couple apart. Not just their couple status.Ripped.Them.Apart.

I cried.

I cried some more.

I kept crying.

I cried even more

I couldn’t stop crying.

And then I went to go put on extra mascara because it was time for work.

As you already know, the ending devastated me, but only R.K. Lilley could weave such a story and get away with it without me hunting her down (JK!!). Just barely, by the way. If you looked at the spoiler tag in the beginning of the review, you'll see that the ending leaves you anticipating the events in book 3 (like their reunion ASAP!!!) so I'm not that worried. Okay. Maybe I am. But I'm just a natural worrier. Counting down the days for Lovely Trigger!

~Feifei


Amazon US link: Click Here

Amazon UK linkClick Here




No comments:

Post a Comment